Machines can be the work of patient inquirers and advanced proportions, so beginners always need to learn the basics of the simplest measuring and cutting. Basic clothing cutting is one of the most important factors, especially for those who are just starting to learn to tailor. What skills does it require and how does it work? Stay tuned for details below!
1. How to measure basic clothes
The first thing for a beginner seamstress is to know how to measure the necessary loops for a garment.
– To measure the most standard necklace, we proceed to take the measurement of the largest part of the neck. Usually, it will be the neck just above the shoulders.
– For the wearer’s body height, you take the measurement from the top of the head to the floor.
– When measuring the bust: to avoid being too wide or oversized when wearing, you should measure the fullest part of your bust.
Similarly, the best butt measurement will be the largest butt.
Measure shoulder width by measuring the distance from one shoulder to the other.
– Hip circumference is measured at the widest part of the hip.
– In contrast, the waist measurement is around the smallest.
– Arm length is measured from the edge of the shoulder to the position desired by you or the wearer.
2. Basic clothing cutting and sewing recipe by choosing fabric size
– To sew skirts
Fabric sizes 1.3 meters, 1.2 meters, and 1.1 meters: twice the skirt.
Size 0.9 meters: 30 cm + twice the skirt
Size 2 meters and 1.8 meters: buy 80 cm.
– To sew one-piece skirts
1.5 meters and 1.6 meters: buy 1.5 meters, for smaller sizes buy 2 meters.
– To sew a shirt
1.3 meters or 1.2 meters: sleeve length + shirt length + 10 cm (equivalent to about 1.3 meters).
You need to buy twice as much (sleeve length + shirt length + 10cm) for 1.1 meters and 0.9 meters.
Cotton fabric with a width of 2 meters or 1.8 meters, you only need to buy about 80 cm.
1.6 meters and 1.5 meters: for long sleeves buy 1.2 meters, with short sleeves buy 1 meter.
– To sew pants
If the fabric is 1.2m or 1.3m, you will buy 1.5m. If the size is 1.5m or 1.6m, buy 1.1m for long pants.
For pants, you buy 1.1 meters if the size is 1.6 meters or 1.5 meters.